We have just stepped across the threshold of a new year. Most of us have plans and dreams for the new year, and some of us may have resolutions, but none of us knows exactly what this coming year will hold for us.
If you were to take some time to reflect on all that happened this past year, I am sure that there would be things that happened—that you were not anticipating—when you crossed the threshold on January 1, 2023. This coming year will be no different.
The bible measures time in two ways, first of all as Chronos time—or chronological time—this kind of time is measured in minutes, hours, days, months, and years.
Physicist Carlo Rovelli said this about time: “We usually conceive of time as something simple, fundamental, flowing evenly, indifferent to everything from the past to the future, measured by clocks. Over time, the events of the universe follow one another in order: past, present, future. The past is fixed, the future is open … Well, all this has turned out to be false.”
What Rovelli is alluding to is that Chronos time is not the only way to measure time. The Bible also measures time as Kairos time—which is an “opportune moment” in time, or a “special moment” in time, or the “right time.” Here are a couple of biblical examples of Kairos time:
“Then times of refreshment will come from the presence of the Lord.”—Acts 3:19
“When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.”—Romans 5:6
During 2023 we all experienced Kairos moments—that is opportune moments when:
- God took out his highlighter pen and illuminated a particular verse of scripture.
- When a book, a podcast, or a sermon—arrested you with biblical truth.
- You had a special encounter with the Holy Spirit during a time of worship or prayer.
- You had the opportunity to share the gospel with someone who crossed your path.
- When the Holy Spirit used a word of knowledge or a word of wisdom to guide or direct your life in some way.
- When the creator made Himself known to you in some special way through the creation.
- When a prophetic word brought correction to your life.
- When God used a conversation over coffee or a meal with a brother or sister to speak life and encouragement into your spirit.
As you make your way through 2024, I want to encourage you to look beyond the Chronos time and look for the Kairos moments—those moments when you encountered God in a significant way.
—Rev. Wes Mills, ACOP President