Message from the President
If this is your first visit to our website, welcome! We hope that it will provide you with an introduction to the ministry of the Apostolic Church of Pentecost. If you are a regular visitor to the site we hope that you find the information you are looking for.
The vision of ACOP is to be a global movement of passionate people extending God’s grace and igniting hope in communities everywhere. Through 408 credentialed ministers and 120 partner churches, God’s grace is being extended and hope is being ignited in communities across Canada. Our global workers and international partners are extending God’s grace in 26 other countries.
Our mission is to develop and release effective leaders and healthy churches who transform communities. We believe that communities are transformed one life at a time, therefore we focus our attention on strengthening leaders and creating healthy, disciple-making communities.
If you would like to know more about ACOP, its ministries or its programs, please contact our office. Thanks for visiting our site!
To develop and release effective leaders and healthy churches who transform communities.
To be a global movement of passionate people extending God’s grace and igniting hope in every community.
- The pre-eminence of Jesus
Jesus is the ultimate source, authority, and model for all matters of faith, life and practice
- Loving God
We love Him because He first loved us.
- Loving People
We love people from every tribe, language, and nation because each person is created in the image of God.
- The fullness of the Spirit
The Holy Spirit guides, directs, fills and empowers those who yield to Him.
Discipleship that produces dedicated followers of Jesus, who are willing to obey Him regardless of the cost. The true product of discipleship is another disciple maker.
- Missional Engagement
We are called and commissioned to fulfill the mission of God, both individually and corporately.
Grace saves, keeps, and enables by the divine presence of God.
- Justice tempered with mercy
We are called to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with our God.
- Leadership Development
To develop and deploy a competency-based leadership development program for ACOP pastors, church planters, and global workers.
- Next Generation Engagement
To engage next-generation leaders with opportunities to fulfill their calling.
- Church Revitalization
To advocate for church revitalization and renewal.
- Church Planting
To recruit, assess, equip and deploy church planters and church planting teams.
- Provide Resources
To resource churches and pastors to develop succession plans for key leadership roles.
- Frontier Missions
To recruit, assess, equip and deploy global workers into frontier missions.
Our Envisioned Future
We believe that God wants ACOP to be a global movement that:
- Is saturated in prayer.
- Welcomes the supernatural and empowering work of the Holy Spirit.
- Engages every believer as an active partner in The Great Commission.
- Affirms the ministry of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers.
- Has effective, fruitful and diverse leaders.
- Has healthy, resilient and reproducing disciple-making communities focused on reaching the lost.
- Is reflective of the Canadian mosaic of multi-ethnic people groups.
- Is pioneering, entrepreneurial and innovative.
- Engages all generations while developing and empowering emerging generations.
- Is a blessing and transforms communities throughout Canada and around the world.
Statement of Faith
- That the Bible is the inspired, infallible, authoritative written Word of God.
- In the eternal existence of one true God who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- In the Savior of men, the Lord Jesus Christ, conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, very God and very man.
- In the creation, test, and fall of man, as recorded in Genesis; his total spiritual depravity and inability to attain to divine righteousness.
- That forgiveness of sin and eternal life is freely offered to all by our Lord Jesus Christ. The Salvation of sinners is by grace through faith alone, in the perfect all sufficient work of Christ, who died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day for our justification.
- In Water Baptism of believers by immersion in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- In the Baptism with the Holy Spirit as an experience subsequent to salvation with the scriptural evidence; namely, speaking in tongues.
- In the gifts of the Holy Spirit as enumerated in the book of Acts and the Epistles.
- In the Lord’s Table as a memorial for believers.
- In Divine Healing as practiced throughout the New Testament.
- In the eternal life of the believer and the eternal punishment of the unbeliever.
- In the Spirit-filled life. The Holy Spirit is the catalyst for sanctification and seeks to produce His fruit in the believer’s life as their minds are renewed and they are conformed to the image of Christ.
- In the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ for His Church.
- In the sanctity of marriage, as a life long exclusive commitment between one man and one woman.
The Apostles’ Creed
The Apostle’s Creed is the most ancient creed of the church – and we believe it is the basis of all Christian Fellowship.
The Apostle’s Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:
Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell*.
The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic** church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.
* Hades – The place of the dead.
The Apostolic Church of Pentecost of Canada traces its history back to a revival that began in the early 20th Century at the Azusa Street Mission in Los Angeles. This revival has come to be known as the “Latter Rain” revival.
REV. FRANK SMALL
In 1913, a man by the name of Frank Small was pastoring a small church in Winnipeg called the Apostolic Faith Mission. He travelled to a camp meeting just outside of Los Angeles where he witnessed the “manifest power of God”. When Frank Small returned to Winnipeg, his message of coming revival was not well received by his church so he resigned but continued to attend the church.
For the next 3 years, Frank Small gave himself to prayer and waiting on God. In October of 1915, he had an encounter with the Holy Spirit where he saw a vision of an oil gusher and a large tent. He sensed the Holy Spirit say to him, “Your time is up – get ready, revival is here!“
In the summer of 1916, Frank Small held a tent meeting crusade in Winnipeg. Over the course of that summer, thousands of people came to faith in Christ and were baptized in water and empowered by the Holy Spirit. Testimonies of healing and deliverance were prevalent. In the fall of 1916, the old Jewish Synagogue in Winnipeg was rented and the revival continued.
Over the next few years, the revival spread from Winnipeg to other parts of Canada. In December of 1921, the first Conference of the Apostolic Church of Pentecost of Canada was held in Winnipeg. Over the next 33 years, the Apostolic Church of Pentecost was involved in extensive church planting across Canada and foreign mission work.
EVANGELICAL CHURCHES OF PENTECOST
In 1927, a group known as the Full Gospel Mission was established in Western Canada. This group had its origins in the Trossachs Camp Meeting near Pangman, Saskatchewan and eventually adopted the name of Evangelical Churches of Pentecost. This group was also involved in church planting in Western Canada as well as foreign missions work. In 1944 the Full Gospel Mission established a bible college in Eston, Saskatchewan, called the Full Gospel Bible Institute – now Eston College.
In the early 1950’s, joint Conferences were held between the Evangelical Churches of Pentecost and the Apostolic Church of Pentecost to explore the possibility of joining together. In 1953 a merger took place under the charter of the Apostolic Church of Pentecost of Canada and it was agreed that Eston College would become the official training center of the amalgamated organization.
Today ACOP is the second largest Pentecostal Denomination in Canada. There are currently 120 Canadian churches affiliated or associated with ACOP, and there are 408 credentialed ministers representing nearly every province in Canada. ACOP is also involved in missionary endeavors in 26 other countries.
The International Office
The ACOP International Office is located in Calgary, Alberta. It also serves as the National Office of the Apostolic Church of Pentecost of Canada and the Apostolic Church of Pentecost of the United States of America.
The International Office is the hub of communication and information for our Fellowship. It is responsible for the credentialing of ministers, the collection, and distribution of missionary funds and the coordination of regional and national conferences.
For more information, our story has been chronicled in two history books, Our Apostolic Heritage by Robert Larden (published 1971), and Streams of Grace by Linda Wegner (published in 2006). Both publications are available for purchase from the ACOP International Office.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees is the official governing body of the Apostolic Church of Pentecost (ACOP). There are currently 4 Regional Trustees and 3 Trustees at Large serving on the board. The President of ACOP also serves as a non-voting member on the Board fo Trustees.
National Apostolic Team
The National Apostolic Team is made up of the President, Administrator and 5 Regional Directors. The role of this team is to serve as an extention of the ministry of the President, assisting in implementing the vision, goals and strategies that will enable ACOP to fulfill its mission and vision.
Canadian Leadership Team
The Canadian Leadership team is comprised os the National Apostolic Team, the Missions Directors, Church Planting Catalyst, Next Generation Catalyst and the Director of United Youth Outreach. The provides oversight to various ACOP ministries.
The ACOP office is located in Calgary, Alberta, just south of the Calgary International Airport. The office houses several dedicated staff members who diligently serve our members and churches.
Click on the chart below to view a larger image.